Insulating under Tin Roof

Old 12-12-04, 06:26 AM
Carolina Man
Visiting Guest
Arrow Insulating under Tin Roof

I am inclosing a porch at my house that has a tin roof atop 2x6 rafters with an appropriate slope. I do not want to put in a drop ceiling. Rather I wish to insulate against the tin roof and attach sheet rock directly to the rafters underside.. The 2x6 rafters should allow adequate space for the insulation. Please advise me on how to do this insulation. What type moisture barrier do I need against the tin to keep the insulation from touching? Do I need air space between the tin and the insulation? If so how much space and how do I get that space? All help will be appreciated.

Old 12-13-04, 07:39 AM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
With tin roofs you want to keep the insulation as far as reasonable from the metal. This is because metal loses heat rapidly and insulation retains it for some time. If they touch the probability that condensation would occur would be high. I am also hoping the tin roof is corrugated, which means it will not be air tight.

I recommend using R-13 fiberglass batt insulation which is about 3 1/2 inches thick. This should keep the insulation far enough away from the tin roof inside a 2 x 6 rafter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: