Corner of House Leaking Cold Air

Old 12-13-04, 09:19 PM
Lumberjacc
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Corner of House Leaking Cold Air

I have a ranch home built in the middle 60's that is leaking cold air through the corners of the house. What can be done to stop this air from entering? The walls are in good condition and I have vinyl siding.

I can't access the corners of the house from the outside because of the siding and whatever else might be behind it. I am not sure if I should drill into the drywall and try to force foam insulation into the holes. It seems that the wall is colder at the bottom near the floor, but the whole corner is cold.

What can be done about this situation?

Thanks,

Jaime

Old 12-14-04, 06:45 AM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately corners of houses are usually assembled using three 2x4's and spacers and the sheathing that meets at the corners creates a seam for cold air to enter the void created by the spacers. Besides making the corners stronger, the 2x4's are assembled to provide a nailing surface for sheet rock. Furthermore, the corners of the house have the most movement from live and dead loads. Which means the air tightness this area had when it was first installed, no longer exists and a lot of cold gains access to this void. Once the sheathing is installed, it is literally impossible for you to gain access to this caviity is seal or insulate.

Old 12-16-04, 08:29 AM
Lumberjacc
Visiting Guest
There has to be a way to fix this... Would I need to tear the corners of my house apart and caulk/spray foam insulate? I can't leave this how it is...

Right now I have heavy blankets in the corners of the rooms trying to stop the cold air from entering.

Thanks again,

Jaime

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: