Spray foam insulation worth cost for garage?

Old 12-22-04, 10:12 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Spray foam insulation worth cost for garage?

I have an attached garage that I need to get fully insulated...the walls are 2x4 construction and the ceiling height is 11'. With 2x4 all I can put in the walls is r-13?...is it worth it to have someone insulate it with the spray foam? Or is it worth it to fir out the 2x4 and put in r-19? Should I put cellulose or spray foam in the ceiling? I plan on keeping the garage at about 55 deg in the winter...it is a cold weather climate (Minnesota). I only want to do this once so I want to do it right...

thanks
ds

Old 12-22-04, 01:48 PM
C
You certainly want to blow the attic to R-49. The walls will be less important, but it you have the money, the R-19 will outperform the R-13. A big challenge in a garage is sealing and insulating the rollup doors.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-23-04, 07:32 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Garage insulation

The only areas of an attached garage that need to be insulated are the walls and ceilings common with any heated space in the house.

Unless you also plan on heating the garage, insulating the garage ceiling (unless there is living space above it) and rest of the walls will be of little help to your energy savings.

You CAN insulate using sprayed icynene insulation but it is the most expensive alternative.

Whatever method you decide, remember that once you have finished insulating all walls and ceilings common with any living space of your house must be drywalled and taped in accordance with your local fire codes....and exposed insulation of any type is illegal in a wall or ceiling common to living space in any attached garage.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: