covering insulation above garage area, mbr overhead

Old 12-25-04, 05:38 PM
trytofixitman
Visiting Guest
Question covering insulation above garage area, mbr overhead

I have a tri-level that is 30 has been built 30 years. The garage is under my master bedroom. the garage rafters are insulated with fiber glass insulation with the moisture barrier side facing the wood floor. Can I place some type of better insulation over this or drywall without creating a moisture problem, as it stands now the insulation is exposed in the garage area (could this be a health hazard since the laundry room is in the garage and it is used frequently?). There is also some water leakage after several days of heavy rain. This is one of the main concerns that there would be a moisture problem created by cover the insulation with drywall any input appreciated.

Old 12-26-04, 09:37 AM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
http://www.epa.gov/iaq/molds/preventionandcontrol.html

This site gives you some tips on how to control moisture in order to prevent mold an mildew growth.

You should check with your local building officials about having exposed insulation in a garage. In most towns this is prohibited and the insulation must be covered with a fire proof material like sheet rock.

As far as applying sheet rock over the insulation and it creating the possiblity of mold growth, the answer is the sheet rock is not the source of moisture, nor should it promote the growth of mold. Learning how to control the amount of moisture in the garage is the best way to prohibit the growth of mildew and mold.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: