very cold floor in addition

Old 01-10-05, 10:08 AM
orko007
Visiting Guest
very cold floor in addition

we moved into our first and current home two years ago and this is our second winter. The house is a 1450 sq ft ranch with 2/3 basement in Michigan. As i have been told by a neighbor the current living room where there is no basement used to be a garage but was rebuilt into the living room. This is aparent from the ouside since there is a paved section in from of this room for no aparent reason next to the actual drive that goes to the newer detached garage. the room is 12x30 with two skylights and a wood burning fireplace, large picture window and sliding glass door. comming into the house from the level pavement there is a 10" or so step up into the mud room which is the same level as the living room. there is another step up into the the kitchen and the rest of the house which has a basement. I can only assume that there is a slab and not dirt under the living room and entryway since i have no way of accessing it. but the floor in these to areas is extremely cold. I constantly have to have a fire going in the winter to keept the room warm since the therostat is in part of the house with a basement and us much warmer. but even with a fire roaring and the room nice and toasty the floor is still cold on the feet. I found that the attic was very poorly insulated in this part of the house (unfaced r-12 or so insulation) which i have since repalced but i am guessing the floor is similar in its poor insulation or possiby no insulation.
I plan to rip out part of the floor in the entryway since we want to redo it anyway so see what is underneath. But i would like to know what kind of things i could do to make this room more comfortable to live in. we are barely ever in the room due to the floor being so cold. luckily i finished of the basement last summer. If i had to i would have no problem ripping out the capret and floor to add insulation but if there are better options i would love to hear them.

thank you, and sorry for the long post

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-05, 08:34 PM
http://www.eere.energy.gov/consumeri...heets/eb7.html

This site gives you some options on how to "Insulate Slab-On-Grade Foundations".

Old 01-11-05, 07:07 AM
orko007
Visiting Guest
thanks for the info that will be very helpfull. now i just need to rip into the project and see what i've got.