Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Insulating Vaulted Ceiling

Visiting Guest

01-15-05, 02:39 PM   #1  
jasonnc
Insulating Vaulted Ceiling

We have two rooms with high vaulted ceilings. There is a yellow batt insulation on these ceilings in the attic. I'm not sure what the R-value of current insulation is, but am sure it's not high enough, considering most of the rest of the house is lacking too.
If my assumption is right when I get up there to check it, is it cost effective to get more batts to make a second layer and bring it up to code...R-32 in this area of the country???
Is it as easy as buying the insulation with an R-value to bring me up, lay them out perpendicular to what's up there now, and enjoy the warm cozyness?
How does it stay in place...any other considerations?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-16-05, 02:07 PM   #2  
jasonnc
Updated...

The insulation is Manville Gold Fiber Glass Building Insulation, 15 years old and is only 4 inches thick on the verticle sections of the vaults but much more fluffy on the horizontal almost 8 inches thick. There is no listing of the R-value on the facing, at least not the section I pulled out to look at.
Thoughts about r-value of existing?
If need more, how to you attach it on the verticles over existing insulation and 2x4 studs?

Rest of house is either 9-inch or 4-inch blown, which I plan to have brought up to at least R-32 soon. Baby's room is one of the vaulted ceilings, so want to get it nice and cozy...and soon!

Jason

Search this Thread