high hat lighting insulation?

Old 01-21-05, 06:25 AM
high hat lighting insulation?

i learned my lesson last year. i bought 6 recessed high hat lighting units from Lowe's and installed in our family room. the lights work great. but the sales idiot at Lowe's sold me the wrong units. that's the last time i will ever take a home improvement sales persons advice as absolute truth.

i should have gotten the units that were entirely sealed. the ones i installed are not and they're installed in an unheated attic space. consequently, i've got cold new york winter air pouring into the family room and my wife is screaming like a banchee. she's good at that.

short of replacing them, what is the best thing i can do? is it ok to simply lay a blanket of insulation over them? these are the units that are designed to have insulation directly adjacent to them. you can have insulation can actually touching them, but again they're not air tight. can't recall the specific type of recessed lighting units by the name given to them by the industry.

if there was a lighting forum here, i would have asked this question there, but i didn't see one.

any suggestions and advice will be WARMLY appreciated. thanks.

bob

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-05, 06:57 AM
http://www.nol.org/home/NEO/home_const/details/rcld.htm

This site illustrates how to solve your problem.

Old 01-21-05, 08:38 AM
thank you so much. that certainly looks like it will do the trick

bob

Search this Thread