Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Replacing drive-under garage/basement insulation

Visiting Guest

01-24-05, 05:16 AM   #1  
SDS
Replacing drive-under garage/basement insulation

I have a drive-under garage. The walls are poured cement with about a one foot space above the cement that is plywood covered with insulation. Half of the basement will get semi-finished later this summer. I wondering how difficult it would be for me to replace the pink batt insulation in the areas that won't be finished? Right now the insulation is dirty with some dead insects. It has been cut to fit between the 2 x 4s. Toward the area that isn't underground the plywood/insulation combination is about six feet rather than one foot. I'm trying to save money yet I don't want to do something that would be dangerous (inhaled particles) or cheap enough to have thrown in with the partial basement remodel. What do you guys think?
Thanks-SDS (Sarah's Daughter)

Sponsored Links

NJ

01-25-05, 05:28 PM   #2  
First and foremost you should check with your local building department about insulation in garages. I am almost certain that they will require that the insulation be covered with a fire proof material.

As far as the type of insulation to use, it really does not matter provided that it is designed to used that that application. People where you purchase the insulation can usually help you there.

You can also go to many of the manufacturers of insulation, like Certainteed and Manville and view their products and even ask question there.

Search this Thread