Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

basement ceiling

NY

01-24-05, 07:21 AM   #1  
basement ceiling

hey,
i have a split level home on LI. all of the flooris are hardwood and tend to always be cold. i was thinking about insulating the ceiling of the basement to help warm the floors and reduce noise from the furnace.
1) is there a special type to use?
2) is there a problem w/ insulating this area?

also, im redoing a room on the lower level.
3)should i insulate between floors?
thanks
birch

Sponsored Links

NJ

01-25-05, 05:50 PM   #2  
First you have to check with your local building department to determine their requirements for this application. Because you have combustion appliances in the basement, the installation of insulation in the ceiling above these appliances may have to be covered with a fire proof material.

Faced batt fiberglass insulation held in place with metal rods designed for this application is the standard application.

Visiting Guest

02-10-05, 05:45 PM   #3  
jhughe90
Mr

Posted By: resercon First you have to check with your local building department to determine their requirements for this application. Because you have combustion appliances in the basement, the installation of insulation in the ceiling above these appliances may have to be covered with a fire proof material.

Faced batt fiberglass insulation held in place with metal rods designed for this application is the standard application.
The insulation above the combustion appliances is more of a fire concern than the wooden joists?

I have the same question, but I am also finishing my basement including insulating in the walls. I'm assuming for this application (there will be one heat vent in the finished area) that I would need to use unfaced?

For birch's application the facing would be up to the main floor level?

Search this Thread