Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Soffit Venting in South Florida Home

Visiting Guest

02-15-05, 06:52 AM   #1  
dehaseth
Soffit Venting in South Florida Home

We recently bought a home in South Florida that was built in 1950 (CBS construction). We are installing a generator for the home however our building code says that we cannot place the generator within 10 feet from a window or vent. Well, our house has soffit vents approximately every 6 feet. I asked a reputable local general contractor and he told me that homes in our area do NOT need any soffit vents since we have very balmy weather and quite a bit of humidity most of the times. He also said many of the new homes do not have these vents anymore. Before I redo our soffits and plug up the vents, I thought I would inquire about this and get a second opinion. I don't want to close these off and cause some repurcussions down the road.

JD

Sponsored Links

02-15-05, 06:32 PM   #2  
soffit vents

When I lived in Fla., they had just invented the wheel (L.O.L.) and nobody

had ever given a thought to soffit vents. I question the builders response,

soffit vents are important in hot humid weather, cold weather, any climate

I can think of. I would consult your local building code official on that one.

Visiting Guest

02-17-05, 09:54 AM   #3  
Pat S
Soffit vents are one way of providing ventilation to attic spaces. Proper ventilation in this area is extremely important - it impacts the roof structural materials, roofing materials, etc and impacts moisture and cooling load. I would get a second opinion before altering your soffits.

MO

02-17-05, 10:26 AM   #4  
I asked a reputable local general contractor and he told me that homes in our area do NOT need any soffit vents since we have very balmy weather and quite a bit of humidity most of the times. He also said many of the new homes do not have these vents anymore.
Just like the rest here bu** bu**. They have tried to skip any roof vents cause its hard to put them in with all the tile roofs. But lots in the overhang and it dont work. Now they are going back and try to put roof vent fans in. In new homes now they are putting the roof vents back in.You need 1sq ft of vent for every 150 sq ft of ayttic . It should be 1/2 in and 1/2 out. Down here a roof vent fan on a tstat is the way to go. Its not the humidity there and yes its high but the temp that can build up in the attic is what you want to fight I have seen some up to 160o.
For a vent fan up there attic sq ft X0.7==CFM of fan you need.

Also as bad as the power is down here you do want a time delay on the AC and fridge . A cheap small batt back up on your PC Been down here 15 years now

ED

NJ

02-18-05, 10:45 AM   #5  
http://wsuonline.weber.edu/course.cm...ent_Index.html

This is a lecture on the purposes of Attic Ventilation. Over the years there has been much concern about moisture related problems. This site does not discuss these concerns. While all moisture related problems are associated with heat one way or another, the majority of these problems involved are associated with Cooling systems located in attics and ducts. This is where your contractor probably formed his opinion.

Search this Thread