Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Basement Insulation decisions.

02-28-05, 09:22 AM   #1  
Basement Insulation decisions.

Currently I have framed 2 x 4 walls up against the block in my basement. I plan on using Kraft Faced Insulation. One wall I have is 1 x 2 with plastic against the block from the previous owner. The question I have is do they make 2 inch Kraft Faced Insulation or should I put styrofoam type insulation between the studs on the 1 x 2 wall? Also, is it ok to have the 3 inch insulation against the block? If not should I also use styrofoam or 2 inch insulation on the 2 x 4 walls if they make it? The house is 10 yrs old and has 2 inch Closed Cell Styrofoam on the exterior. I live in Wisconsin and have the usual four season climate. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-02-05, 05:37 AM   #2  
Floyd
I feel your pain!

Hi, I am also in Wisconsin and have a home that is about 10 years old and I am making a basement rec room. I put up 2x4 studs for framing, I am not going to put any insultation in the walls, I will put up a 6 mil vapor barrier. I feel my basement stays pretty well controlled temp and moisture wise. I will have wired in baseboard heaters also. I have talked with other Wisconsin friends and in the homes built in the last 10 to 15 years, most of us are not putting in insultation.
However, if you feel you need insulation, you can find various thicknesses of insultation to fit in any wall, the R value will just be different. Good luck with your project. I am starting my drywalling next, yippee!

03-02-05, 04:25 PM   #3  
Floyd, did you put your stud walls against your block/concrete walls? Is the exterior of your basement walls insulated? The entire basement insulation theory out on the web is driving me crazy. There are so many opinions. I am having CityWide Insulation come out and give me an estimate for doing the insulation and will ask them what they recommend. Good luck with your project.

Search this Thread