Garage insulation

Old 03-02-05, 11:10 AM
Thumbs up Garage insulation

hello, I'm sure if I spent a long enough time looking I could probably find my answer on here! Ok, I have the traditional stick built garage. It's 3 bays and I am considering insulating it. What would be my best bet? The regular roll kind? What would be a good R-value for a garage? Also, would it be necessary to finish over the insulation with plywood or something? The biggest factor is money! IF I can do it cheap enough I just may! Get's very cold up north where I live in the winters! My brother stated that I could insulate the whole garage for like a couple hundred!! This sounds awfully cheap Too cheap I'm guessing!!! Any help is always greatly appreciated!! Knowledge IS power! Oh, btw, heat might come via a woodstove!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-05, 12:45 PM
Wink

R 13 in the walls paper to the room side. R19 in the ceiling paper to the room side. I put a 4 mil poly over all the insulation now and drywall later. make sur you vent the attic there for sure.

ED

Old 03-02-05, 04:33 PM
Smile garage insulation

Thanks Ed!!!!!!! So doesn't a couple hundred sound too cheap to insulate my 3 bay garage? Thanks once again in advance!!!!

Old 03-06-05, 07:59 PM
Another insulation ?

Garage insulating.

What exactly is a "vapor barrier"

When using "poly" do you put it on both sides of the insulation/studded wall.

Thanks
John1

Old 03-07-05, 05:32 PM
Wink

V/B is the poly sheet.
You only put it on the room side of the insulation in the home .I like to use the paper back insulation paper to the room staple it inside the studs. Then put a 4mil sheet of poly over it then the drywall or what ever?

ED

Old 03-09-05, 04:31 PM
Depends on where you get your insulation. I bought over 500 sq feet of 3" rockwool from an insulation wholesaler several months ago for $160.

At Home Depot, the equvalent square footage in fiberglass R13 would have been three times that. And of course they wouldn't have rockwool either.

Search this Thread