Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Blown insulation placement??

03-10-05, 06:53 AM   #1  
Blown insulation placement??

My husband and I recently spent a few hours in the attic running a cable outlet. We noticed that the insulation had been moved and was uneven, which I plan to remedy. I also noticed that all along the front of the house (we live in a ranch-style home), the insulation wasn't blown to the wall. In fact, the insulation stopped only half-way across the room underneath it. It doesn't look like it had been moved, in fact it looks perfectly clean as if no insulation had ever been over there to begin with. The insulation on the back side of the house goes all the way over, just leaving room for the overhang to ventilate. Would there be any reason for them not to put the insulation any further than they did? I have always wondered why the dining room and living room felt colder in winter and warmer in summer. Now I know!
The house was built in mid 80s. Since it looks like it has been like that for so long, I am wondering if they actually had some sort of reaon for doing this that I am not aware of?? We live in NC and a tropical storm came through several months ago, could the winds be strong enough to blow the insulation back to the middle of the house under the overhang??

Last edited by Da_Pearces; 03-10-05 at 10:31 AM.

Sponsored Links

NJ

03-10-05, 05:23 PM   #2  
I have seen this when the front the house there was a covered porch or patio; the roof extended over the porch or patio. Since this area was outside there was no need to insulate the ceiling of the porch or patio. Once I seen it when the house was extended and remodeled to enclose the porch or patio and make it part of the interior of the house.

Search this Thread