Polyurethane question

Old 03-21-05, 02:24 PM
wcb314
Visiting Guest
Polyurethane question

I have a 1850 Victorian with no insulation in the walls. In fact, there is not even any sheathing on the house - the clapboards are applied directly to the studs. I'd like to add insulation, but blown-in seems like a poor option since I would not be able to add a vapor barrier and I think it would tend to get wet due to the fairly leaky clapboards. Also, it would be a mess if/when I eventually replace the plaster on the interior.
The Polyurethane slow-rise foams seem like a decent option, but are prohibitively expensive and I can't find anyone to do it in my area. I have some experience with the "pour foam" type urethane foam used in boatbuilding (such as this stuff: http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/Prod...pour_foam.html) As far as I can tell, it's the same stuff but without the fancy dispensing equipment. It would be time-consuming to mix and install, but is pretty cost-effective. My concern would be that it might not have the fire retardants, etc that building insulation would have. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-05, 06:34 PM
foam

Before I got 1/2 way through your question, the fire safety issue occurred

to me. I would bet that urethane products of this type are not only not

fire- resistant, but would create a toxicity concern inside the house, as well.

Old 08-18-05, 07:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Thumbs down No Ads Or Advertisements Allowed

Our slow rise foam is made for exactly such a situation, and is no more flammable than fiberglass or other insulation materials.

And there is no harmful offgassing with our product.

www.xxxxxxxx.com

Forum Monitors Notes:
Member Banned for advertising.
The thread has been edited.

Advertisements within the forum topics or within replies posted or within personal signatures or including email addresses within replies or signatures is not allowed on this web site. Surveys, Ads, Advertisements, Solicitations to market products, services or to hire person(s) to perform work is not allowed in any forum topics.

Posting email addresses for others to contact to obtain information or to market products or directing anyone to personal web sites which can market products or solicit services, etc are not allowed. There Are No Exceptions.

Members posting any of the above or similar, anywhere on the web site are doing so in violations to the policy and are subjected to suspension or banning.

No topics are to be used for personal gain using any method. Allowing any of the above degrades the entire web site for all concerned parties.

Read the forum rules here:
http://forum.doityourself.com/announcement.php?f=65&announcementid=112
http://forum.doityourself.com/announcement.php?f=65&announcementid=111

Robert Horning.
Web Site Administrator.
Sharp Advice. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Multiple Topics Moderator.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 08-18-05 at 07:30 AM. Reason: No Ads Or Advertisements Allowed

Search this Thread