Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

blown insulation

Visiting Guest

03-22-05, 07:45 AM   #1  
Nunu
blown insulation

Hey guys, and thanks for all the contributers. Basically, I live on a 3rd floor of a building that was contructed in the late 1800's and was converted to condo's in 1988. The outside of the building is brick and the building is located in Northern Jersey, right outside Manhatten. There is abolutly no insulation in the walls, and they are quite cold in the winter. There is an outside brick wall, then about a 4" - 6" gap, followed by aluminum framing, then the gypsum wall board.

I'd like to insulate the walls, but I don't want to rip down the walls and put in insulation. I was considering blowing insulation, and I was looking for sugestions as to what type of insulation I should blow into the wall, and anyone know if that is something I can do myself? One wall is 12' long X 12' high, one that is 13' long X 12' high, and a third that is 22' long X 12' high.

Is there any concern with moisture comming through the brick and being transfered to the wall with certain insulations?

Last edited by Nunu; 03-22-05 at 08:55 AM.

Sponsored Links

NJ

03-23-05, 11:37 AM   #2  
Apparently you have a 3 course brick wall. Brick does absorb and expel moisture. Brick does need to expel the moisture it absorbs and not allowing it to do so from both sides of the wall may cause a problem. It is for this reason I would recommend taking down the interior wall to insulate and leaving a space between the interior wall and brick wall.

Search this Thread