Removal of blown in cellulose

Old 05-19-05, 10:42 PM
moosehunter
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Removal of blown in cellulose

Howdy All...

Long time lurker, first time poster... and I've got a good one for ya... With all this talk about installation, I'm going to throw you a curve and talk of removal.

This past weekend, when installing a sat. tv system, I was up in my attic for the first time in years. When I popped the hatch, I noticed tunnels and runways all over my blown in cellulose insulation. You guessed it... MICE!! In order to completely eliminate the little buggers, I'll need to remove all the blown in cellulose in order to seal all there little entrances and escape routes. As well as clean up all their little chicklets.... :mask:

Any suggestions as to how to go about it's removal?

BTW... It will not be reused due to droppings. It will be replace with rolls or batts. Upgrading to an R-38...

Old 05-19-05, 11:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
moosehunter, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
I am NOT trying to be funny but if it was Blown in, then reverse the process and Suck it out. Use a big shop vac and dump it when full into plastic bags. I would suggest using the blower part of the vac but I truly think this would cause a mess so just dump it when full. Good luck with your project.

Old 05-20-05, 02:17 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Only issue with this is cleaning up the mouse turds first. You don't want to be throwing the dust from mice habitats into the air you're breathing.

Lots of nasty virii (hanta virus, etc) that are air borne and makes vacuuming a bad idea.

Wear a good mask regardless.

Old 05-20-05, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Because of the health hazard of the mouse droppings you would likely need to use the same method as what is used to remove asbestos containing Zonolite insulation.
You firstly would need a respirator that is rated for fine particulate.
One that is labelled for asbestos would do it. The cartriges are normally purple.
The attic space would need to be under negative pressure to prevent the dust from entering the house.
You could do this by temporarily installing a fan over one of your vents to draw on the attic space.
The cellulose needs to be damp to reduce airborne dust.
If you have a garden hose up there and spray the top layer with a very small amount of water and then carefully slide it into heavy weight bags.
Don't make the bags too big or they won't come out of the attic.

I would encourage you research this further to confirm what I have suggested.
Unless you know for sure there is no chance of becoming sick from this you really have to protect yourself and your family.

Link: http://swcenter.fortlewis.edu/tools/HantavirusTips.htm

Old 05-24-05, 05:57 AM
moosehunter
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all the good info!!

I have yet to actually start my project but have been getting my ducks in a row to git-r-done...

- Built a fan out of an extra roof vent to create neg. pressure in the attic.
- Obtained real Hepa filters (including extras) for my respirator.
- Obtained "hazmat" type disposable coveralls & gloves from an exterminator.
- Modified a large shop vac for "outside the house" material collection and exhaust. Kinda slick gizmo! During "garage" testing it was almost dust free! dumps into a hopper lined with 3mil contractor bags!
- Have a pump-up sprayer on hand with plenty of disinfectant for ammo.

Living in Minnesota, the Hanta virus is not a "major" concern, but is possible. Better to be safe than sorry...

Thanks again for the info!! If you think I may have forgotten anything... Please post!!

Old 05-24-05, 01:03 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wow, I'm just thinking about starting a similar project. We moved into a house with an old (hopefully) mouse problem.

Mind if I ask, how much did the disposable suit cost?

How did you modify the shopvac to expel outside? I mean, to go outside and still reach all the way in your attic, the hose must be very very long... How do you deal with a plug mid-hose?

Where did you find out how much of a threat the hanta virus is in your location? Haven't been able to find much info for the Seattle area.

Old 05-25-05, 09:40 AM
moosehunter
Visiting Guest
Hi Cerestes....

The suits I got from a friend of the family. His son is an exterminator and just gave me a half dozen. Same with the filters. Which are the new N-100 rated. He agreed that the insulation has to go before the mouse problem can be addressed. Thus, this P.I.T.A. (however necessary) project.

The shop vac is quite a gizmo. A neighbor gave me a 55 gallon plasitc drum with I'm using for the collection hopper. I fabricated an "adapter" plate to allow the mounting of my existing shop vacs power head to the new hopper. This is all sealed around the edges with foam weather stripping. And yes, the hoses are very long. My exhaust hose, (2) 8' sections, clamps to the outlet on the shop vac and is sealed with a couple wraps of duct tape. The intake hose is made of (4) 8' sections. These connections are just "snug fit" and sealed again with duct tape. If the hose plugs, I just urwrap the tape, find the blockage and remove it with a long piece of 1x2. If I take it slow and not plug the end of the hose right away, the machine works quite well. I just allow the vac to pull in as much material as it "wants". I don't try to force feed it. It's kind of tough explain so I'll try to get a few pictures of it later this evening.

For me, the Hanta Virus info was easy to get. A few phone calls to the state health department and the University of Minnesota and I had all my answers and then some. Although not probable, the threat of Hanta is definitely possible. Deermice, the number one carrier, are not a wide spread species in Minnesota. However other rodents may carry the viruse as well. Online, check with the CDC or your local department of health and human services. If they don't have the info, they can sure point you in the right direction.

You know what they say about and ounce of prevention?.... I hope I helped a bit...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: