Mistake or not....

Old 06-23-05, 08:08 AM
Mark in Ottawa
Visiting Guest
Mistake or not....

I need some advice....

As a neophyte DYIer, I tried to fix a bad draft I had coming in through the wall connecting to the garage (front of house) in my 3bdr townhouse. I also had a very, very cold room upstairs above the garage. Naturally, I suspected the two problems were related.

What I did was tear out all the old drywall from the ceiling and back wall in the garage, re-insulated and put up new drywall. There was no vapour barrier present and the insulation looked like it had just been thrown in as the original drywall had been put up.

Now for the mistake part.....I stapled a vapour barrier directly on the ceiling and the back wall of the garage, pushed in the insulation and stapled another vapour barrier outside to hold the insulation in place (the insulation is now sandwiched between two plastic vapour barriers. I put up new drywall, taped and mudded.

Is this a problem???? I have a familiar but unidentifiable odor in the house now. Could this be related to my "sandwich" method of insulating?

MarkinOttawa

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-05, 08:26 AM
Wink

You sure cant seal the insuation that way. You want a V/B to the room side or warm side only. Outside you would put a house wrap only.

ED

Old 06-23-05, 08:46 AM
Mark in Ottawa
Visiting Guest
Ed,

Thanx for the reply. The v/b and drywall are already up. Is this a problem that needs to be fixed or undone?

Mark

Old 06-23-05, 09:36 AM
Wink

You cant have that V/B on the outside wall there at all.just to the inside of the room.

ED