Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Adding insulation to walk-up attic

CT

07-06-05, 12:53 PM   #1  
Add roll insulation to attic with radiation barrier?

Hello, I have an old house with old insulation. There is radiation barrier insulation in the rafters, but nothing on the floor, because its usable space. So, can I add insulation to the floor of this attic without compromising the radation barrier insulation in the rafters?

My idea is to roll insulation on each side and place rigid foam sheets in the middle, so I will have some usable space.

Jurched

Last edited by jurched; 07-07-05 at 09:08 AM.

Sponsored Links

CT

07-08-05, 09:28 AM   #2  
C'mon, guys. Let's have an answer. I have to buy insulation tomorrow. Having radiant barrier in the rafters while roll insulation or rigid foam covers the floor is okay, right? Should be, since they serve different purposes.

Jurched

NJ

07-08-05, 12:31 PM   #3  
The radiant barrier in your rafters should not interfere with any insulation you put in or on your attic floor. A concern may be if the radiant barrier interfered with the attic ventilation.

I assume the reason you intend to use rigid board insulation in the middle is because you do not want to take up the flooring and want to slide the insulation under it. I prefer using batt insulation and a flexible fishing rod and line. This works well if there isn't anything to block the insulation from going through, such as wires and/or bracing. Which is very common.

You might want to consider blowing in cellulose and renting the equipment for a day. Provided it is allowed in your State. For instance, most of New York State, cellulose is prohibited. If that is the case, you can use loose fiberglass, works just as well.

CT

07-08-05, 12:42 PM   #4  
Thanks for your input.

Being an old house, there is no ventilation to speak of, except two windows on either end of the house. There is evidence that moisure builds and condenses around the barrier. I plan on replacing the roof within a year or two (I'm practicing on a smaller section this week) so I will not deal with the radiation barrier and the ventilation problem just yet.

I wanted rigid foam on the floor so I could *walk* on it to open and close the windows. I didn't think of your idea of pulling insulation underneath the attic floor; that's a good idea, but involves a huge amount of prep work, since the entire attic is floored, up to the soffits. I'll have to examine the attic more closely today, to see what can be done there.

Jurched

Search this Thread