Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Using A Radiant Barrier VS Insulation Over Slump Block

07-23-05, 10:49 PM   #1  
Using A Radiant Barrier VS Insulation Over Slump Block

I came across a post Attaching Drywall To Block and had a question no one asked.

I live in Tucson, Az and heat is a big deal. We are considering buying a 1973 home where one major wall section is slump block. What thoughts are there on installing a radiant barrier when doing the drywall/insulation? My idea is -

- Frame 2x4 studs 1" away from the brick
- Attach a radiant barrier to the studs
- Attach 1/2 drywall

This doesn't include any insulation, but I'm not so worried about keeping heat in, as much as keeping it out. I could attach the radiant barrier on the brick side, then insulate giving this -

brick - air gap - radiant barrier - stud (insulation) - drywall

What are peoples thoughts?

Cheers,
Aaron R>

Sponsored Links

AZ

07-31-05, 04:01 PM   #2  
you worry too much. If it's the fairly standard 8" or so of slump block you already have a great insulator. My entire house is slump and built in early 70s as well. We're in the process of going through the entire interior, and part of the work completed was to replace some water-damaged drywall along the exterior walls in 3 of the bedrooms. This wall faces south, so it gets lots of sun. The old drywall was foil-backed on 1x2 furring. I wanted a little more insulation so I put in new 2x furring and used 1-1/2" foam panels for insulation. Then just used regular 1/2" drywall. Works great. btw, I ran this by my AC guys beforehand as we were replacing the old system and they thought it would be a great improvement.

oh, we added new windows, which also made big difference.

Search this Thread