Vapor barrier

Old 07-30-05, 06:21 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Vapor barrier

I am in the process of building my home. I will be putting a house wrap on the exterior before putting the hardiboard siding on. My question is since I am putting an exterior wrap on do I also need to install a vapor barrier over the insulation.

Old 07-30-05, 06:54 PM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
http://www.eere.energy.gov/consumeri...heets/bd4.html

There are two topics on this site you want to read. VAPOR DIFFUSER RETARDER's and AIR BARRIER's

In air barrier topic, the second to the last paragraph gives a caution on the use of house wraps with certain siding materials.

Old 08-05-05, 05:17 AM
E
Originally Posted by Brakeman
I am in the process of building my home. I will be putting a house wrap on the exterior before putting the hardiboard siding on. My question is since I am putting an exterior wrap on do I also need to install a vapor barrier over the insulation.
A house wrap is not a vapour barrier. They serve to distinct purposes.

The house wrap helps to reduce the air flow from outside to inside which can cause drafts.

The VB is required by code (in most municipalities, cities) and prevents moisture air from inside getting into the insulated wall space. The rule of thumb, is to install on the warm side of the room, (i.e. over the insulation inside the room between the wall studs).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: