Room over garage is HOT HOT HOT

Old 08-14-05, 10:07 AM
krisgus1
Visiting Guest
Room over garage is HOT HOT HOT

We have a room over our garage and it is hot hot hot. I am assuming there is little to no insulation above the garage ceiling. Of course it is a wickedly high ceiling and has plaster, so finding out will be no easy task. I wonder if insulating will make a marked difference and am interested in the thoughts of those of you are pros or been down this road before. Also, a neighbor told us they attached that foam insulation board stuff to the current ceiling and it made a huge difference (although it is pink and ugly--which I guess is something to consider). But if we go the route of ripping out the plaster and blowing in/rolling in insulation, I wonder how much that'll cost us. As it is a 2 1/2 car garage and at least a 12 foot ceiling, I'm thinking this may be out of our range of do-it-yourselfing!!

Any thoughts to the random thoughts I posted will be so greatly appreciated!!

Old 08-17-05, 01:21 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Do an internet search for a product called Super therm and select the site that is close to you. You can access the product from a distributor. this product will control heat transfer more effectively than standard insulations which absorb heat. It is a multi ceramic coating designed to repel heat which can be coated over the plaster ceiling. This way you can maintain the appearance of the existing ceiling and stop heat migration.

Old 08-18-05, 07:45 AM
sa1997
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Another great project to show the usefulness of foam insulation.

I have been insulating for 30 years, both residential and commercial, and I can offer a easy fix for your problem. The answer to your problem is Polyurethane foam applied to the underside of the roofdeck. You can purchase Do It Yourself foam kits on the internet. This would completely solve your problems. I would suggest visiting www.tigerfoam.com, or www.fomofoam.com. If you have any questions they will answer them.

Old 08-19-05, 12:02 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I believe the problem is heat transfering through the ceiling of the garage through the floor of a room above, not the roof.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: