What insulation product to use with 1x3 studs?

Old 08-29-05, 08:37 AM
Chevron
Visiting Guest

I have the plaster walls torn down on a 1930's all brick twin in PA, and would like to insulate before putting up drywall. The studs are just 1x3's nailed flat into the brick exterior walls. Is there a thin insulation that can be glued to the brick? Also, if I use a vapor barrier, how do I attach that? This is a first time quest for me, and any I would love as much information as possible.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-05, 01:52 PM

You can put insulation between the 1x3s, but why not consider putting rigid extruded polystyrene over the 1x3's before the dry wall? You can choose you thickness and this has more insulation per inch.

Outlets and switches can be fixed with extention boxes. The questions is how many doors and windows?

If you want pure inslation, this is the way to go since putting something between 1x3s is very limiting.

Dick

Old 09-01-05, 08:59 AM
Chevron
Visiting Guest
Thanks! I looked into it, and it looks to have good moisture prevention properties also. I only have three windows in the area that I'm working on and they are pretty new.

One more question though, the plaster was 3/4" thick, and 1/2" insulation plus 1/2" drywall would take me out past the window thickness. Any chance someone could point me in the direction of how to build out the windows so the moulding will go back on correctly?