1890's home w/o Insulation

Old 09-07-05, 05:44 AM
garrett76
Visiting Guest
1890's home w/o Insulation

I live on Long Island, NY in a 1890's Victorian. continually under renovation/restoration..... NO INSULATION on outside walls......Only 3rd floor finished area, attic and roof are insulated. I have been looking into insulating, however I am not ready to rip out plaster and redo all my walls.

It has been suggested that I have "CELLULOSE" blown in. I have been reading up on this and spoke to several local people re this possble solution....

I am getting every possible suggestion as to the "VAPOR BARRIER" issue. Some actually tell me because it is an older house, not to worry (why not), while others tell me if I want to I can use the special paints that will do the job acting like a vapor barrier.

Any suggestions and recommendations short of redoing all my interior walls by replacing plaster w/ sheetrock and insulation....

Thanks. Fred

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-05, 08:42 AM
You may find this article interesting...

http://www.joneakes.com/ca/hs/cgi-bi...hs.cgi?id=1614

Old 09-07-05, 10:58 AM
jhb
Visiting Guest
Similar situation

I have a similar problem with my 200 year old farmhouse. I am giving serious consideration it icynene (icynene.com), no vapor barrier needed. They have a pour in formula for walls. I am going to use it to insulate my crawspace.

Old 09-08-05, 10:32 AM
mrm323
Visiting Guest
Icynene is a good product, but doesn't give you much of a vapor barrier, being an open celled foam. I would look into closed cell polyurethane foams. The R-value is much higher than open celled foams and there are several companies that make it and you can even get it in kit form and do it yourself.