Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

best way to insulate floor

Visiting Guest

09-07-05, 09:14 AM   #1  
Baglady
best way to insulate floor

does any one know the best way to insulate hardwood p&b floor?
It is hardwood on the joists so no insulation from a subfloor. Our climate is hot and humid and i am unsure which is the best way to go.

Sponsored Links

09-08-05, 04:19 AM   #2  
What do you mean "insulate hardwood"?
Has the floor been installed already?
What is your intended goal? Retain the A/C levels in your home?

Visiting Guest

09-09-05, 07:18 AM   #3  
Baglady
I want to maintain the a/c heat inside. It is an older home and when I pulled up the carpet I found the nice wood floor. But it has holes and no subfloor. We have sealed the holes but there is still alot of a/c lost and drafts. I thought we could but batting or some kind of foam board in the joist. I am not sure what would work best in this situation.

09-09-05, 11:16 AM   #4  
Can you access the floor from underneath the house?

You should probably look at installing batt insulation as it fills gaps very easily....and it is much easier to work with than foam board. In addition to the insulation, you should add a vapour barrier (6mil poly, or whatever is required by code in your area). The rule of thumb for this product is "place on the warm side in winter". In your case, I believe this would be below the insulation and not directly under your floor.

The insulation would fill the space between the joists and the vapour barrier would get stapled to the under side of the joists.

The insulation will help to maintain your A/C levels and the vapour barrier will help stop drafts.

Visiting Guest

09-10-05, 03:35 PM   #5  
Baglady
thanks for your help the guys at the hardware store didnt seem to know much about this.

Search this Thread