Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

basement ceiling insulation

NY

09-07-05, 03:00 PM   #1  
basement ceiling insulation

what kind of insulation should i use on the basement ceiling? is it a waste if i do a suspended ceiling?

Sponsored Links

09-07-05, 04:30 PM   #2  
A lot depends on your final goal....

For example... in my basement, to which I'm currently adding a bathroom, bedroom, and gameroom - the temperature is so consistent and perfect that insulation is not necessary in the ceiling (the walls require it for firewalls). On the other hand, for noise suppression ( I can hear the coffee grinder upstairs when I'm in the basement) - I used "Kraft faced batting"... in the ceiling joists for nothing more than sound suppression. It's easy to install (stapler and utility knife) and works just fine.

If temperature control were the issue, I probably would have used the same thing. It's a DIYer product..............

09-08-05, 04:12 AM   #3  
Insulation between two heated spaces is a waste if the purpose is to conserve energy. However, if you install it to supress sound, then it is great.

I insulated my entire basement ceiling to reduce the transfer of sound upstairs. It does help a lot. I used the pink insulation, cut it to size and stuffed it up in the cavity between the joists.

NY

09-09-05, 06:43 AM   #4  
what works better to block sound, the pink insulation or that kraft batting? what are approx. prices of each?

09-09-05, 11:29 AM   #5  
Before I insulated my basement ceiling, I spoke with a sound engineer. I asked him what works best, the batt insulation, or the insulation made (or marketed for that matter) specifically for reducing sound.

He said their performance is identical. Since they were the same price, I went with what was easier to install...and that was batt. About $30 a bag, but I cannot remember how many square feet 1 bag covers.

Before you buy the stuff, measure the inside of your joists since these products come in different widths. Buy the size which is slightly larger than the width.

Keep the stuff at least 3" away from potlights.

NY

09-12-05, 11:45 AM   #6  
is it safe to put this batt insulation in the joist areas above the oil burner (for noise reduction)? i would then use the fire rated sheetrock to cover this area.

09-13-05, 04:44 AM   #7  
I'm not sure what an "oil burner" is. However, batt insulation is fire rated...you might just have to verify the rating required for this application.

NY

09-13-05, 09:11 AM   #8  
oil burner. furnace. etc.

Visiting Guest

09-15-05, 05:25 PM   #9  
ucf2000
A craft faced batt is flamable, unfaced is not near as much.

The best insulation for sound is rockwool, I buy mine from a plant in Canada and I live in Florida. It's actually not that expensive and it is 100% fireproof, fiberglass is not 100%.

Search this Thread