New? Garage insulation question

Old 09-30-05, 06:05 PM
New? Garage insulation question

My ranch house is located in north central OH and built in the 60s. There is a 2x4 wall separating the two car garage afrom the home. The garage side is sheathed with Gold Bond R1.32 fiberboard and the interior side is rocklath with a plaster veneer finish.
I want to remove the dark fiberboard, insulate with R13 batts and finish with painted fire rated drywall.
Do I need a vapor barrier/retarder?
Would I use a continuous plastic sheet covering each bay and over each stud installed from the "open" garage side? Or would I use a Kraft faced product with the paper against the interior?
The garage will not be heated.
I appreciate any comments and/or suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-05, 07:36 PM
Vapor retarder will face the heated side of the wall. Batt insulation that has a vapor retarder attached can be purchased.

Old 10-03-05, 05:09 AM
Oddly, the guy at Lowe's suggested a 4 mill barrier against the living wall (and around the studs) and then a batt with the Kraft paper facing the garage.
I discovered yesteday that the backside of the rock lath has a foil backing.
Should I just staple the paper backed batts into each bay with the paper facing the garage and not worry anymore about it or slit the paper?

Old 10-04-05, 09:53 AM
Sounds like he's having you create a situation with a vaper barrier on both sides of your insulation.

Doesn't sound like a good plan...