Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Whats the best tape to join poly sheet?

10-08-05, 07:12 PM   #1  
Whats the best tape to join poly sheet?

Is there a recommended tape for joining a moisture barrier?

I was going to use duct tape.

Sponsored Links

PA

10-09-05, 04:29 AM   #2  
The tape made for tyvek is an option..

10-10-05, 10:02 AM   #3  
I wouldn't use duct tape, it isn't unusual to find that within a few years the adhesive has dried out and the tape falls right off.

I would recommend the tyvek tape as well, I think all the big box stores carry this type of tape and most have their own brandname on the tape. I think you will get better results with this over duct tape.

10-11-05, 07:02 AM   #4  
Tyvek tape is best. You can also use a acoustical caulk, but this can get messy and is not as easy to apply as the tape.

10-11-05, 12:46 PM   #5  
Not sure where your application is... but I would fold the edges of your moisture barrier seam together a couple of times... and staple to the studs rather than trying to tape them together.

10-11-05, 01:47 PM   #6  
tx

Application is a crawlspace moisture barrier. I ended up doing a 3ft overlap (I had loads of 10mil poly being as the smallest roll was 20ftx100ft and the room is 9ftx12ft), did two seams of silicone caulk, put a row of bricks on top of that and 4 rows of the best, stickiest duct tape I could find in HD. I thought it might be a little bit of an overkill but that tends to be my way.

I think it should last, being as the ground under this space is not even damp anymore, following the the re-grading and drainage work I did outside.

It p***ed down in boston all weekend and nothing came through anyway before I finally put the sheet down.

10-11-05, 03:12 PM   #7  
Sounds like you got it... Good work, and good luck.

Search this Thread