Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How to insulate pre existing walls

Visiting Guest

10-28-05, 02:34 PM   #1  
Candy105

WE have a bedford stone house and were wondering how to insulate the existing walls from the outside ???

Our hardware doesnt seem to have anything smaller than 1 inch in diameter for drilling thru mortor to blow the insulation in . Any suggestions ????

Sponsored Links

MN

10-28-05, 02:40 PM   #2  

Are you sure you have to or should drill through the outside? You can insyalte from the inside.

Dick

Visiting Guest

10-29-05, 07:24 AM   #3  
Candy105
Well I think it would be much easier to go from the outside than inside . I mean think of the mess and all the repairs to the drywall you'd have to make . Doesnt really make sense to have to repair and repaint all the inside walls in your house does it ???

MN

10-29-05, 01:19 PM   #4  

If you hink you can drill through the stone exterior, blow thw the insulation and patch the stone good enough to maintain the value of it, the outside is OK. You will need a large hole to blow insulation and possibly two in each stud area. Drilling through stone and/or mortar is not fast or easy.

Dick

PA

10-30-05, 08:56 AM   #5  
I'd forget the outside approach. You would need atleast one hole per stud cavity around the whole house. Do the work from the inside and patch the walls.

10-31-05, 05:05 AM   #6  
I wouldn't go drilling drilling through the stone...you could never repair it properly. It would be very noticeable as you would have repaired holes every 16" all around the house.

Either remove the entire stone and then drill, or do it from the inside.

Search this Thread