Cellulose vs. Fiberglass

Old 10-29-05, 10:41 AM
houseaddict
Visiting Guest
Cellulose vs. Fiberglass

An insulation professional came by today to take a look at my house. He uses cellulose and swears by it. Says it's more efficient, safer from a helth perspective, better fire retardant, etc. My first question is whether or not all this is true.

My house is a 100 year old Victorian with clapboard siding. When I bought the house a few months ago and moved in, I assumed there was insulation. The first improvement I did was to get it painted. Now that it's getting colder, and consulted a couple of insulation professionals, I've found that there isn't any.

One salesman told me not to bother taking the boards off or drilling from the interior to blow in, as it's a mess. The other told me that he can use a sawzall from either side of the boards, take the boards and blow it in or drill 1" holes in the shadow of the board (toward the top just before the overlap of the uppermost board), blow cellulose, patch and paint.

What to do?

Last edited by houseaddict; 10-29-05 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Grammar
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-05, 04:38 PM
In my opinion Cellulose is the better choice. However, it really depends on the contractor. The best thing you can probably do is ask the contractor if you can see his work. Ask if you can see a job he has done. If the job he has done lives up to his claims about his work, he will probably do the same for your house.

Old 10-31-05, 07:10 AM
houseaddict
Visiting Guest
Good point about seeing his work. It just so happens that he was referred to me by my neighbor. I guess he's good to go. THe only reservation that I have is about drilling the boards to blow the stuff in. i wonder if it will truly be as hard to see as he is telling me.

Old 10-31-05, 08:30 AM
Perhaps you should ask him if he has done a similar house like your's before and to go see it.