Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

attic insulation project

10-31-05, 03:50 PM   #1  
attic insulation project

I live in a 1924 bungalow with a walk up unfinished attic. It has a finished floor of tounge and groove boards over the joists with no insulation between the floor boards and the ceiling plaster. I was wondering if I could just roll out some fiberglass insulation over the T&G to insulate the living areas below?

And if I can should I use the paper faced or non paper faced?

thanks
deacon

Sponsored Links

11-11-05, 08:16 AM   #2  
bumpity bump

MN

11-11-05, 10:48 AM   #3  
attic insulation project

The problem with rolling it out on top of an existing surface is that is is only a blanket over the top. If there are any openings (edges of floors, etc.), air will infiltrate out and cold will come in, leaving the cavity cold. It is tough enough to make sure there are no gaps between rolls let alone letting cold air get under it.

Ever noticed how cold air can get in around the edges of a blanket on a cold night?

It probably would not be very effective unless you were very meticulous and it never got disturbed in the future.

Dick

11-18-05, 07:19 AM   #4  
thanks for the heads up dick. We are still looking at our options, (drilling holes in the T&G and blowing in insulation) but budget wise in might not be a reality. If I do go ahead with the fiberglass I'll keep your comments in mind and lay it very mythotically.

deacon

MO

11-18-05, 07:34 AM   #5  
If you do go to roll insulation. Id use a R 13 with paper down to the room. Then a R19 with no V/b on it and put it down the other way across the first insulation. Will help close some of the holes.

ED

11-18-05, 07:35 AM   #6  
Anywhere there is insulation, you need a vapour barrier placed on the warm side. Without it, you may be creating worse problems.

Search this Thread