Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Roxul vs icynene

Visiting Guest

11-03-05, 02:21 PM   #1  
windowb18
Roxul vs icynene

Does anyone have any suggestions of which is a better insulator?? We're up in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada.

This is going on the crawlspace exterior walls under the kitchen. Is it worth the extra money to go with the spray foam? I don't mind spending the extra money upfront if the heating costs will be less in the end.

If the spray foam is better, how much better is it over Roxul??

Sponsored Links

NJ

11-13-05, 02:15 PM   #2  
Spray foaming exterior walls of crawlspaces is widely accepted in Canada. However in the U.S. because it is not widely accepted and considered a fairly new concept, there have been problems with this type of application. Spray foam is considered a superior insulator and air sealer.

Visiting Guest

11-13-05, 05:55 PM   #3  
rjwinz
Just an aside, Winnipeg is a 10,000+ HDD climate. With the rising cost of heating fuel, I personally would install the best insulation I could get.

Visiting Guest

12-05-05, 01:53 PM   #4  
windowb18
Does the spray foam require a vapor barrier on the warm side? Again, this is going into a dirt floor crawl space. So would you put VB on the ground and up the wall (say 6 inches), then spray foam over that?

Search this Thread