Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Another basement insulation question

11-15-05, 07:50 AM   #1  

Currently basement is completely unfinished. Walls are mostly below grade (except for the top foot or so) and uninsulated. The builder insulated between the floor joists of the first floor. After insulating the walls in the basement, is there any reason to leave the insulation between the floor joists? Was wondering if I could remove it and use it in the walls. Only drawback I could see is possibly it would help some with sound deadening through the ceiling/floor. Do most people just leave it there?

Craig

Sponsored Links

IL

11-15-05, 09:35 AM   #2  
I personally would leave it (and would have added it if it wasn't already there), just for the sound control. You didn't mention your current climate control situation or future plans, which could further impact the decision.

11-15-05, 10:33 AM   #3  
It will have a dramatic effect on reducing the sound transmission. I installed insulation in my basement before drywalling and it really helps.

VA

11-15-05, 10:39 AM   #4  
From what I've read on another forum dedicated to building home theaters, you DEFINATELY want to insulate between the floor joists.

Tom

MO

11-15-05, 12:02 PM   #5  
A drop ceiling works real good for what you want. You can just lay that insulation on top of the drop ceiling. you can get back into it to work or change any wires around or work on the water pipes if you have to. Dont forget the insulation up on the sill platein the joist

ED

Visiting Guest

11-21-05, 10:39 AM   #6  
Konrad Fischer
Solid insulation will be best

what belongs sound and thermal insulation. So I would recommend only solid materials as insulation like wood, gypsum cardboard, brick etc. depending of the situation referring dampness.

Normal thermal insulation will 1st humidify in walls and 2nd not work against IR-Radiation transports, which will cause about 99% of thermal losses through constructions. I tested it out, you can see it here:

www.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx-info.de/7mold.htm

Good luck!

Konrad

>>>>Forum Monitors Notes:
The thread has been edited.

Advertisements within the forum topics or within replies posted or within personal signatures, personal web sites or including email addresses within replies or signatures is not allowed on this web site. Surveys, Ads, Advertisements, Solicitations to market products, services or to hire person(s) to perform work is also not allowed in any forum topics.

Posting email addresses for others to contact to obtain information or to market products or directing anyone to personal web sites which can market products or solicit services, etc are not allowed. There Are No Exceptions.

Members posting any of the above or similar, anywhere on the web site are doing so in violations to the policy and are subjected to suspension or banning.

No topics are to be used for personal gain using any method. Allowing any of the above degrades the entire web site for all concerned parties.

Read The Rules Here:
http://forum.doityourself.com/announcement.php?f=2&announcementid=113
http://forum.doityourself.com/announcement.php?f=2&announcementid=114

Sincerely, Robert Horning.
Web Site Administrator.
Sharp Advice. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Multiple Topics Moderator.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 11-23-05 at 07:41 PM. Reason: No Ads, Advertisements Or Personal Web Sites Allowed

NC

11-21-05, 06:35 PM   #7  
I cantin understandin the German

Visiting Guest

11-22-05, 04:15 AM   #8  
Konrad Fischer
Oh, I am so sorry,

but perhaps you can try again the just updated site. It is in 'my' english, some wrong terms and grammer are perhaps tolerable.

Konrad Fischer
Architect / Civil Engineer

MN

11-22-05, 08:48 AM   #9  

Konrad - I understand you comments and concept.

Unfortunately, American construction, design and advertising is based on temporary, lightweight construction with lightweight materials that do well in the steady state hot box insulation tests, but do not perform as well in the real world with dynamic (not steady state) temperature and humidity fluctuations.

Most of the rest of the developed world understands the concept, but Americans have a limited view because of the tradition of light construction. One part of the concept that is recognized is the need for thermal interia and heat storage in solar homes. The use of the concept is recognized by some designers and standards, but not by the general public. It will be a long time before the concepts become fully understood, since an R-value is easy to understand (and mis-use).

Dick

Visiting Guest

11-23-05, 03:03 AM   #10  
Konrad Fischer
Thank you Dick

but I know the american standards of lightweight building construction. We learn in university, we can see them in TV flying away through hurricanes and be transported on road and my cousin married an american carpenter from Boston. Besides in Germany the 'ecologic voodoo religion' promotes this lightweightery with all tricks as the last supper before temperature crash of the manmade heated world ;-)

So I suggest to insulate only with solid wood - that may be due to the lightweighters, or? Look to my www.xxxxxxxxxxx-info.de/7mold.htm to get some idea of our 'Lichtenfelser Experiment', where we checked out the senseless R-value-champoins like fiberglass, polystyrene etc.

Nevertheless, I know enough from completely molded cellulose and fiberglass and polystyrene insulation, also in spite of cellulose insulation is poisoned material (biozides). Never would I bring such pest in my house.

Forum Monitors Note:
Post edited. Link to personal web site removed and or edited.
Second instance of a violation.
Member has been suspended (6 months) for the rule and policy violation. Not suspended necessarily or solely for the information posted. Intitled to his/her opinion. Not allowed to use a personal web site regardless of the information it can offer. Read the rules.

Sincerely, Robert Horning. Web Site Administrator.
Sharp Advice. TCB4U2B2B Business Management Services.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Multiple Topics Moderator.
Personal Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 11-30-05 at 07:56 PM.

Search this Thread