Insulating attic of a Cape Cod style home

Old 11-25-05, 12:57 PM
poschultz
Visiting Guest

Just bought a 1952 Cape Cod style home with the walk-up attic that has been converted to a bedroom. There is insulation between the roof joists but my daughter still says her room is cold. She does have two heat vents in to the room but no return vents. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-05, 02:06 PM
execontracting
Visiting Guest
Flanel sheets man, flanel sheets.
Seriously, 1950's somthing...First are the heat registers supplied by duct work, or just cut through from the heated space below...second are the originals windows still in the house, single panes loose some serious heat.
Also, feeling different wall and ceiling surfaces, is there a big difference temp wise?

Old 11-26-05, 02:41 PM

It is hard to get heat into a room if you do not have a returm for the cold air.

Can you install a cold air return?

If not. do you have a return nearby in a hall? If so you could trim the bottom of the door to allow the cold air out?

I agree - better windows would help. Can you install storm windows? If not, the 3M shrink plastic helps. That is my chore tonight.

Dick

Old 11-27-05, 03:19 AM
Originally Posted by poschultz
Just bought a 1952 Cape Cod style home with the walk-up attic that has been converted to a bedroom. There is insulation between the roof joists but my daughter still says her room is cold. She does have two heat vents in to the room but no return vents. Any ideas?
The 1950's house I was raised in had ventilation eaves about 2 feet below the roof"s peak. Keep in mind attic ventilation is required. IMHO If her room is open to the whole attic, this would explain why the room is cold.

You will have to enclose the living space. Insulate the walls of her room and install vapor barrier on the warm side of the room. Remember to allow the attic ventilation system to work.

I am not a pro, but is the approach I would consider. Before going through with this plan, I would check it out with someone who knows (contractor, reputable bldg yard).