Help!!! my room is freezing

Old 11-30-05, 09:54 PM
BrainFreeze
Visiting Guest
Help!!! my room is freezing

Hello All,
I'm not sure if I should be posting in the Windows and Door section or insulation, but I guess my question is more related to insulation, so please redirect me if I'm wrong. Anyhow, my room feels like it's 45 degrees. I think there is a draft comming in through the window, but I'm not quite sure which part of the window it is comming in from. Any advice on how I can find the draft and fix my chilly problem? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-05, 05:27 AM
Here in Canada, there is a very informative government booklet available from Natural Resources titled "Keeping the Heat In".

Chapter 3 refers to air leakage. It may help you.

Below is the internet address.

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/keep_heat_in/index.cfm

Old 12-01-05, 05:50 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: BrainFreeze. Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site.

Much depends upon several factors listed below.
Not much detailed or specific information provided in your question.

The type of window. Wood framed. Metal framed or vinyl?
Age of house and building materials house is made with. Wood, brick, stone, stucco, cement, etc.
Existing insulation and exactly where? Attic, floor, wall and ceiling? Etc.
Only in that one room or all rooms is it cold and drafty?
Do you own the house or rent it? Rent only that one room?
If you rent, not likely to be able to do much more than insulate that one window without owners permission nor cost effective to insulate other areas.
May not be a draft caused by the window.
If the window is drafty, stop by any local hardware store and buy window weather stripping. Install per instructions.

Check back on your question several more times. Moderators and other members posting replies in this forum topic may offer you additional advice, suggestions and or help needed. Allow some time for them to do so.

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted. Using this method moves the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically.

Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent & All Forums Monitor.

Old 12-01-05, 06:38 AM
Originally Posted by BrainFreeze
Hello All,
I'm not sure if I should be posting in the Windows and Door section or insulation, but I guess my question is more related to insulation, so please redirect me if I'm wrong. Anyhow, my room feels like it's 45 degrees. I think there is a draft comming in through the window, but I'm not quite sure which part of the window it is comming in from. Any advice on how I can find the draft and fix my chilly problem? Thanks.

You can probably find the draft using a little bit of smoke. Something useful would be an incense stick. They release a small amount of smoke (and it smells good too ).

Take the stick and move it around the window very slowly. If you find the leak, the smoke will flutter.

Do you have an electrical outlet near the window? Outlets are typically not sealed very well and they let in a lot of cold air.

Old 12-02-05, 09:14 PM
BrainFreeze
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the link, its very informative. In response to sharp advice's questions: Metal horizontal sliding windows approx. 68' by 48'. House is about 40 yrs old made of wood. Just installed insulations in the attic last year, I thought it would solve the problem, but there hasn't been much changes in the temperature. I belived they the insulations were R-30 or something like that. Floor is capeted and I'm not sure about the walls. I own the house, so remodeling shoudn't be a problem, except for high cost. The entire house is cold, but the rooms are especially chilly, that's probably how I came up with the conclusion that there were a drafts comming through the windows. Thanks for the help.