New Orleans area raised house

Old 12-08-05, 09:22 AM
flailn
Visiting Guest
New Orleans area raised house

I live in a raised house (about 2 feet) in a New Orleans area suburb. Our house was originally built with batt insulation between the floor joists and held up with chicken wire and plastic netting. This has eventually fallen down and become ineffective as well as a termite hazard. I have read some on insulating crawl spaces but that information does not seem to apply here because a proper vapor barrier can not be laid on the ground underneath the house. I would like to replace the batt insulation with something a little more durable and less apt to pick up moisture since underneath the house is exposed to moisture through rain and the humid climate. I was thinking of using blue Dow styrofoam but had a few questions about it.

1. Would the styrofoam be my best option if I am not going to use batt insulation?
2. What thickness or R value of styrofoam should I use?
3. For installation should I press it firmly against the subfloor or leave an air gap and if so, how much?
4. I had been told to cut a 4" x 12" hole in some of the styrofoam boards to allow trapped moisture to get out. Is that a valid option?

I would appreciate any help you can give me on this.

Thanks and BTW great forum!

Old 12-10-05, 06:29 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I don't under stand why you can't use bat insulation! Two feet should be enough room to do the job? Also if you have a moisture problem with Rain and RH I would fix that problem first!!!

Old 12-11-05, 05:18 PM
flailn
Visiting Guest
Batt insulation

I guess I could use batt insulation again but I'm afraid it would eventually fall and possibly absorb moisture as it did before. Since there is no wall around the bottom 2 feet of the house I don't understand how I can eliminate the exposure to blowing rain and humidity under the house. If the batt insulation gets wet I'm concerned it will cause mold problems. I was hoping the styrafoam would avoid that problem.

-flailn

Old 12-11-05, 07:35 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Ok I now know what you are saying! I thought this was a crawl-space! But it's like a beach home! I would still use the bat insulation, then use the 4*8 sheets of plastic wall coverings that will act like a moisture and vapor barrier. These wall coverings are what you see in public bathrooms and kitchens. Make sure you seal the joints so moisture can't get in!

Old 12-12-05, 08:07 AM
flailn
Visiting Guest
Thanks!

Never thought about the wall coverings. That should work well. I appreciate your help.

-flailn

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: