Wet insulation

Old 11-18-05, 01:51 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wet insulation

Hurricane caused few minor roof leaks... should the wet insulation (blown type) be replaced? Need to know whether to address this with insurance man....

Old 11-18-05, 02:25 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wet insulation

It definitely should be removed and replaced. You will not be able to dry it out enogh for it to insulate and it could cause mold. I would also investigate all wood in the area of the insulation for mold.

The weight could cause damage or overload the sheet rock.

Remove as soon as possible.

Dick

Old 11-20-05, 04:39 AM
SWilbr
Visiting Guest
Question More Questions...

The roof of my rental property was taken off by a tornado in Hurricane Rita, decking and all. Of course, it rained straight into the house, etc. The insurance adjustor said that the insulation (in the walls) does not hold water, therefore, will not mildew/mold. Said that the water just runs out the bottom of the wall (into the living room that she didn't adjust for!). She argued with me. Contractors and other adjustors say she's wrong, but I'm getting conflicting information from them, as well. Can you help me out here? Is it correct that the insulation may not hold water, but the backing will, therefore, it all needs to be replaced? I want to know what I'm talking about when I talk to her, again, about it. Thanks.

Old 11-20-05, 03:09 PM
S
Let me guess you have AllState? Mold or not seems like wet compacted insulation is "damaged" because it will lose much of its insulating factor, right? I would argue it and everything little thing else. Still waiting on my adjuster to do his number things before I know if I need to pull out the guns and argue...

Old 11-21-05, 02:46 AM
SWilbr
Visiting Guest
I don't even have a right to complain when I'm talking to someone from Slidell, do I?! Your city was leveled, wasn't it? I'm so sorry.

If you can believe, we have State Farm. This is an actual State Farm adjustor, too! Someone who has adjusted for hurricanes over the last three years, not just someone who has been sent in to take up the slack and has never adjusted this kind of damage.

Like I said, I just need to make sure I know what I'm talking about when I get her back out here. I'm not trying to get rich here. I just want the property fixed, so it ain't over 'til it's over, right?

Thanks for your help and good luck to you.

Old 11-21-05, 09:12 AM
Wet insulation does not insulate

The bottom line is that moisture has a dramatic effect on the the loss of insulating value.

Some water may drain through, but some moisture is retained withing the insulation strucrure. Due to the make-up of insulation and difficulty of circulating air through it, if is difficult to meove much of the moisture that is trapped between particles of insulation or stuck to the insulation. Only heat and air circulation will remove this. You cannot get rid of it in a confined or semi-comfined area.

Different type of insulation will hold differing amounts of moisture. Even fiberglass that suppodedly cannot absorb moisture can hold moisture as if it was absorbed because of the micro structure. Some testing by competitors of fiberglass have shown that 1/2% to 1% of moisture in fiberglas can cut the insulation value by as much as 40%.

Any moisture trapped in the insulation is a prime source for the growth of mold on adjacent materials. Strange things happen in the world of pores, capillary action, dust and spores.

I would push for replacement of the insulation AND testing of adjacemnt materials for mold potential. If they push for retaining the insulation, they should be responsible for the future results and claims. All insurance companies have a campaign to limit liability for all mold claims.

Dick

Old 11-22-05, 08:47 PM
SWilbr
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info., Dick. You're right. The insurance co's definitely do have that anti-mold campaign going and that makes it even more important for me to find any mold that may be hidden in that house due to the hurricane. If anything is found later on, it's just my tough luck.
Again, thanks.

Old 12-07-05, 09:00 PM
W
I have heard that just 2% moisture content in fiberglass insulation will reduce R19 down to about R12
Water makes a great conductor.

Old 12-07-05, 09:40 PM
Wolfclan -

I think it is 1/2% by weight for that R12 number, but I can't put my finger on the source right now.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: