Insulating a crawlspace w/pipes, moisture...

Old 12-03-05, 12:28 PM
Rolen27
Visiting Guest
Insulating a crawlspace w/pipes, moisture...

I'm in Indianapolis, so it gets pretty cold here around this time of year and I want to take care of the cold floors.

In our crawlspace, we have water pipes throughout and a sump pump, with drainage coming from outside and traveling "downstream" toward the pump well. We also have open vents along the outer walls. The vapor barrier over the dirt is also incomplete, which is another part of the project.

Would it be better to insulate the walls, or try to simply insulate between the floor joists wherever I don't run into pipes, etc....

If I do insulate the walls, how do you secure the insulation to the cinderblock? And, do I need to leave the vents open? If I leave them open, does that make a moot point of insulating the walls?

Nothing I've read fits my situation to a tee, so I'm a little confused and would appreciate some advice.

Old 12-10-05, 06:42 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Insulate walls and between joist! Walls use a two inch stickpin with two inch polystyrene. Vents should be closed and never opened again! vapor barrier ground 100%! Put in 100 pint dehumidifier to keep RH under 55%

Old 12-12-05, 04:40 PM
kherfurt
Visiting Guest
Insulate crawlspace

It depends on the insulation barrier you want to establish around your home. If you don't insulate your floor in additon to your crawl space walls, any cold air in the crawl space will be conducted through your floor. I would agree with everything airman1994 said and would add that if you want to increase the comfort level above your crawl space, insulate the floor with as much insulation as you can reasonably afford for the framing space you have. It will depend on the nominal size of the floor framing lumber (ie: 2x6, 2x8, 2x10, 2x12 or gluelams etc.). Make certain you tuck the batts up close to the subfloor and secure with wire insulation ties. Also insulate all water pipes. Especially insulate any pipes delivering hot water to your home. I just did this to my home in the mountains of Colorado. It made a great difference in the comfort of my living room and didn't cost alot. Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: