Crawlspace vapor barrier

Old 12-11-05, 06:53 PM
Dave h
Visiting Guest
Crawlspace vapor barrier

I have a semi-transparent 6 mil plastic vapor barrier on the ground in my crawl space. When I checked my crawlspace, there is moisture under that plastic. Is that normal?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-05, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Crawlspace vapor barrier

There is nothing wrong with that. It shows that the poly is preventing moisture from getting into the crawl space and possibly into your insulation and house.

It is acting as a vapor barrier should.

Dick

Old 12-12-05, 09:01 AM
This just shows how important a vapour barrier is in keeping moisture out. If the VB wasn't there, then moisture would be rotting out your joists.

Old 12-13-05, 06:18 PM
My sisters house has a crawl space with block foundation. I went under there this past summer and water was all over the place from the humidity. She had part of the ground covered but not really and she had one vent which was closed. I want to try and help her this summer eliminate the problem. I was thinking of covering the whole ground with plastic, continue up the walls and then cover the floor joists with plastic as well and open the one vent up. If anyone has experience on this subject please let me know your feedback on my intentions and whether it is a waste of time.

Old 12-13-05, 07:19 PM
Crawlspace vapor barrier

Brian -

Start with covering all of the floor and up on the walls a foot or so. Seal the poly to the walls with a caulk. Open the vents and let mother nature do the venting.

If it is still too humid because of the climate and exposure, you can always close the vents and put in a humidifier running into a drain or outside.

Dick

Old 12-14-05, 07:43 AM
Dick is correct. You DO NOT want to go all the way up the walls. This will trap any moisture that should happen to find it's way in and would eventually rot out the joists. Leaving a space allows any moisture to escape to the outside.