Refinishing room, 2 insulation questions

Old 12-14-05, 02:06 PM
darinstarr
Visiting Guest

I'm taking an semi-attached workshop in our 1900 house and converting it for use as a home recording studio. The walls initially were 1/4" plywood on the inside, 2x4 studs, and wood siding (no insulation/barrier). The plywood has been removed, and I am ready to insulate the wall cavities now (well, soon), followed by drywall.

My concern is about the outside. I doubt I can remove the existing wood siding (to add a vapor wrap) without destroying a good portion of it. I had planned - next year, when the budget allows - to remove the siding, add plywood to the exterior, vapor barrier, and new siding. Between now and then, will the insulation be damaged, or lose long-term effectiveness? There aren't any significant gaps in the siding, but air does leak through - I'm just concerned about the exposure to the elements in the short-term effecting the performance of the insulation long-term.

Question #2 - the studs in this room are spaced at varying distances - some 15" OC, some 23" OC, and some wider than that - up to 28" in one case. In the case of the 28" gap, would I use 2 rolls of 15" side-by-side? Some gaps are 24-25", can I use the 23" wide batts for those?

Thanks very much!

-Darin

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-05, 03:14 PM

It does not agree with your schedule, but I think there is a btter and cheaper (in the end) way to do it.

Remove the siding, wrap with Tyvek or use a spray barrier first.
if you are in a cold climate, you could temporarily cover the wrap with poly. Then you will be able to do the interior finishing with a few more options. You could use batts or you could use blown in, sprayed or rigid foam insulation. With your odd stud spacing this could work out better cost-wise and thermally in the end.

Does not agrre with the schedule, but you could wrap up the exterior quickly so you could take your time on the interior.

Just a thought.

Dick

Old 12-15-05, 05:30 AM
The exterior house wrap is a "wind barrier" not a vapour barrier. The vapour barrier is a different material and installed on the warm side of the insulation.

Regarding the stud spacing, you will run into problems when it comes time to install your drywall. Drywall is typically manufactured in 4x8 and 4x12 sheets. So if your stud spacing does not match with the size of the drywall, you will need to add studs in order to accommodate the drywall.