California Ranch

Old 12-16-05, 08:04 AM
California Ranch

That is what they call my house in Michigan (why put one in MI???) Anyway, built in 50's and has vaulted ceilings throughout. I assume that there is basically zero insullation in ceiling and walls. I also get big ice dams on edges of roof. What can I do??? I thought about replacing roof next year (still in decent condition) and pull up sheeting to lay down insulation in roof. Thanks for all the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-05, 10:55 AM
Warm air is escaping through your roof, melting the snow and then when it hits the edge of the roof line it freezes. It is imperative that the temperature on either side of the roof is equal to avoid snow melting.

Do you have any vents in the soffits AND ridge? The air must flow from the soffit vents and out the ridge vents for it to work effectively.

Regarding the insulation, if you want to rip the roof off, then that is one way, or you could do it from the inside. You could put 2 inches or more of Styrofoam OVER the roof members on the inside, the same way that the drywall goes on. The drywall over that. That gives you a minimum of R-10, which isn't much, but is a most effective R-10 because it covers all the structural members. You don't get cold pieces of wood going through the insulation, no thermal bridges.

Old 12-16-05, 11:22 AM
ok...

my brother-in-law suggested something like that but I would prefer to keep the mess outside even if is more work/more expensive. I do have a vent (?) running down the soffits all the way but if they work or are clogged I do not know. I assume that there is suppose to be vents at the top for circulation but I do not know. Thanks for all your info.

Old 12-18-05, 08:03 AM
Make sure you have vents near the top of the peak of your roof. Soffit vents are useless unless you also have ridge vents. Hot air rises.

Old 12-18-05, 08:42 AM
thats what I thought

I am not messing with it this winter, but in the spring I will hook it all up. I will be back for the right advices (ever watch "Pumping Iron"?). Thanks and see ya when it warms up.