vapor barrier question I didn't see in 25+ pages...

Old 12-20-05, 03:21 PM
Question vapor barrier question I didn't see in 25+ pages...

Well, I read 25+ pages of threads, and now almost have a good idea of my question(s) about insulating my crawl space

I have 620 ft^2 of uninsulated crawl space. The house itself is around 850ft^2, with one daylight basement type room under another room. Last winter we were spending around $100 a month in natural gas to keep the house at 50*F (also have NG water heater, I don't think either vent or draw air from under the house)

I'm hoping to improve upon that bill now that the wife and I are buying the house. We are located in Klamath Falls, Oregon. It's a high desert area, so hot summers, cold winters (above 0*F, usually below freezing). Humidity is usually pretty low.

For the crawl space, I think I'm going to go seal the vents, put a 6 mil vapor barrier on the ground & up the walls, then most likely some R-19 foil backed insulation on the walls (crawl space opening isn't big enough for the 2" polystyrene type insulation). The insulation on the heating ducts is rather pathetic, so I think that may be enough to heat it?

My only real question after perusing the forums here is about installing the vapor barrier. There is at least one large timber that runs the length of the house and has supports to the ground every 5'-8'. Should I take a bottle jack down with me, 'jack up the house', and put the plastic under these supports? I'm almost thinking that would be easier than cutting large slices in the plastic sheeting and having to reseal it.

thanks in advance for any replies,
-Dave
(cold in KFalls)

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-05, 07:12 PM
Id tear off the old and reinstall three inch duct wrap on those ducts first! Make sure duct is sealed good. Everything else sounds good! I wood cut the poly before I went to raising the house! Sealing it is cheap!

Old 12-21-05, 11:44 AM
I hope to god you're joking about jacking up the house.
Other than that, your plan sounds fine...

Old 12-21-05, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by Cerestes
I hope to god you're joking about jacking up the house.
Other than that, your plan sounds fine...
well.. actually... or would you recommend just cutting/sealing the plastic around the supports?

also, by 'jack up the house' I only meant enough to slide the support out, get plastic under it, and put the support back quickly.

But.. I just took another look down there to refresh my memory... and it's going to be a PITA either way. I'll probably end up using large amounts of duct tape and cut the plastic around the supports.

Oh yea, I also have plumbing under this part of the house, that would preferably stay unfrozen.

thanks for the replies,
-Dave

edit: oh yea, I presume this insulating method helps keep the house cooler during the summer also? I didn't see much talk about that either. Thanks!

Last edited by Browndav; 12-21-05 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-21-05, 05:27 PM
gmalette
Visiting Guest
I suggest setting up the plastic so a seam follows underneath the timber. One side of the plastic could have cutouts to accommodate the supports. Then, tape it as best you can. I had the same issue with my under slab vapor barrier.

Suggest doing everything overhead first to minimize potential damage to the plastic.

I agree too about the site search. I need to keep surfing around to see if there is a better keyword or phrase search that I haven't found yet.

Old 12-22-05, 06:29 PM
Don't use Duct tape. You need to use a vapour barrier tape. Duct tape will dry out over time and fall off.