Another Basement Insulation question

Old 12-28-05, 08:54 AM
jdgradywhite
Visiting Guest
Another Basement Insulation question

Hi, I have posted this in the Basement forum, now reading the Insulation & Vapor Barriers forum, I was thinking maybe I should repost it here.

Greetings, I have a question about insulating the basement walls. I framed out the walls using steel studs 16inch on center. Around the perimeter of my basement I have a gap around the floor where the wall meets the floor. My top and bottom plate is about 4 inches or so from the wall. My question is what kind of insulation do I use to insulate since I cannnot tack the insulation to the steel studs with a stapler, how do i attach the insulation to the studs? Also since the steel studs are basically hollow not like a regular wooden 2x4, I would need the insulation to be wider. Last question for now is once the insulation is up do I put up a vapor barrier between studs/insulation and sheetrock? Hope that makes sense. Thanks for your help in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-05, 06:51 AM
I'm not sure why you have your wall 4 inches away from the concrete wall as this is a tremendous waste of space. But anyways becareful that you have no air space between the insulation and the concrete wall...read this for details:

http://www.joneakes.com/cgi-bin/getd...als.cgi?id=743

As for insulating methods, the cavity should be filled with batt insulation and then a vapour barrier applied over top. Make sure you have air tight electrical boxes as well and the VB is sealed to your bottom plate. Ideally, you would also want to install a moisture barrier from grade level to the slab. This will prevent the insulation from contacting the concrete wall.

Search this Thread