Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Foam insulation under bathroom

01-03-06, 04:38 PM   #1  

We live in Michigan in an old house with a marbled bathroom floor. It's winter and the floor is cold. We have a regular old basement -- not finished. Would putting up foam insulation, between the joists under the bathroom floor help make the bathroom floor warmer? If not any suggestions? Thanks

Sponsored Links

MN

01-03-06, 04:54 PM   #2  

Insulation will help in heat loss, but the tile will still seem somewhat cold.

Materials like stone and metals have a high rate of transmission and always feel colder than the surrounding air even if the are at the same temerature. That is the reason you steel ot cast iron tub feels cold.

Dick

01-04-06, 04:21 AM   #3  
As Concrete says, insulation will not really help.

If you access to the space under the bathroom, then the best solution is a heated flooring system.

I will never live without this feature in a tiled bathroom again...it is really great.

01-04-06, 06:14 AM   #4  
How to put a heated floor underneath

Concrete, and Em -- thanks for the reply here's are 2 follow up questions.

1. What is the best way to put in foam board insulation under the floor, for the time being?

2. What type of floor heating systems are out there -- is it something you'd plug in (electrical)?

Thanks -- I wait your replies with bated breath(?)

01-04-06, 10:27 AM   #5  
There are a few ways to do in-floor heating. You can use either hot water or electric. I personally have electric in my main bath as I did not want any future water problems if there was a leak.

Here is a UK site but it has a good diagram on how a warm water system is installed.

Select "timber" joisted and it will give you a diagram for installation

http://www.nu-heat.co.uk/index.cfm?f...floorsSelector

And there is this site:

http://www.warmzone.com/retrofit-radiant-heat.asp

Search this Thread