Insulation on the garage ceiling?

Old 01-06-06, 07:56 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Insulation on the garage ceiling?

Just moved to a new ( 30 year old ) house. I have been fixing and upgrading due to neglect. Garage and basement are on the same level, with the house built on top. There are 2 bedrooms and a bath sitting on top of the garage. The floors get pretty cold. The garage ceiling has been enclosed and is insulated ( checked through 2 small access panels. the garage door has new seals on all four sides and I have caulked all around the door and 2 casement windows, cant feel any air penitration! I was thinking of putting rigid 4' x 8' x 2" sheets on the ceiling to try and get those floors warm. The cost of the sheet runs better then 20 dollars a sheet, and I need about 18 sheets. I was looking for some input, yay or nay on this idea! I will apreciate any and all comments. Thank you one and all. Rick

Old 01-07-06, 10:17 AM
M
No Can Do.

No can do.

It is a building code violation to place flammable rigid foam insulation on the underside of a garage ceiling unless you also then reinstall 5/8" TypeX firerated drywall on top of that.

That is going to be one expensive insulation job that won't return much in energy savings.

If you feel 'air' look for the sources of the 'air' infiltration.

Adding insulation won't stop air infiltration.

Old 01-12-06, 08:20 AM
Manhattan is right.

Plus, there are two reasons these floors are cold:
1. Hot air rises, and is leaving the bedrooms through the ceiling.
2. Cold air is coming in to replace it through the easiest path: the garage.

So the solution would require you to air seal the ceiling of the bedrooms AND insulate / air seal the floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: