attic insulation

Old 01-13-06, 08:21 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
attic insulation

the r value of my attic is 32. if i added more insulation like a r25 or r30 would i notice the difference in heat and in my gas bill? i guess what i am asking is should i add more insulation to a r32?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-06, 08:37 AM
attic insulation

It all depends on where you are. The cost of adding insulation may be more that what you would ever save over a period of years. The money might be spent better in other areas.

Dick

Old 01-13-06, 08:55 AM
J
i live in michigan where it gets a little cold up here.

Old 01-13-06, 09:14 AM
attic insulation

It all depends on where you are. Detroit is much warmer than Minnesota where I am. The The UP is a lot colder than Detroit, but you don't use AC there.

Dumping insulation in an attic is easy and even a pink panther can do it.

The time spent insulating may go further on windows, sealing and caulking. Are your rim joists insulated? - That is one of the biggest heat losses that is missed.

Just make sure you spend you time and mney where it wll do the most good.

Dick

Old 01-13-06, 10:29 AM
If your insulation isn't doing much to prevent air leakage (hot air rises and causes most of your energy bill), then adding more will definitely help.

But if your existing insulation is already doing a good job of preventing air leakage, then adding insulation won't do much. R-Value stops doing anything after a certain point, and you've already hit it.

As ConcreteMasonry said, it's all about caulking & sealing. This might include lifting the existing insulation out to let you put down an air sealing system, then piling the existing insulation on top.

Old 01-13-06, 02:08 PM
J
Detroit is much warmer than Minnesota where I am. The The UP is a lot colder than Detroit, but you don't use AC there.

Are your rim joists insulated? - That is one of the biggest heat losses that is missed.

I live in detroit. what is a "rim joists"?

Old 02-03-06, 10:42 AM
Rim joists & band joists run the perimeter of your house, at the edge of your floor framing. While walls are easy to insulate, these areas at the top of the wall are difficult to properly insulate.