Any insulation for a gas dryer vent?

Old 01-22-06, 01:10 PM
Smokyie
Visiting Guest
Any insulation for a gas dryer vent?

Hi, Is there any way to insulate a metal gas dryer vent?

It has the proper closer on the outside (vinyl siding). Still, it is always cool in that area of the house so there has to be cold air coming in.

Of course it's in an unhandy spot to reach. Can something be like "wrapped" around the metal pipe?

Any recommendations for this problem?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-06, 04:44 AM
I would check to make sure the pipe is properly connected to the exhaust duct to the outside.

Old 01-23-06, 04:46 AM
Smokyie
Visiting Guest
thanks for the reply
Yes, it is properly connected, we had a licensed plumber install everything just 2 years ago.

Old 01-24-06, 04:38 PM
Smokyie,
Insulating a gas dryer vent will do no good. If cold air is coming in through this vent, it will just work it way to the air intake side of the dryer or just come out through the bottom of the dryer. First make a determination that flowback from the outside is actually the cause of the cold room. Disconnect the vent and hold a match or lighter flame to the vent opening and see if it flickers quite a bit or extinguishes the flame. If it does, then what you need to do is re-run the vent pipe so that it is higher then the vent discharge, then run it down to the discharge. You will need to run it simular to the elbow thats under the sink.
Another thing you should check for is that maybe the plumber installed a fresh air intake that maybe open to the whole room.
Those trap door vent devices are not the best sealers against air infiltration. I seen a better product on the web but lost the address.
Try doing a search on dryer vents and see what you come up with.

Old 01-25-06, 06:50 AM
Smokyie
Visiting Guest
Thank you, rjordan392 for your detailed reply.

I don't think there is a fresh air intake such as you mentioned. I hesitate to move it and take it all apart. It is about a 6-8" straight metal pipe from the dryer, maybe 6" long and then through the wall and outside.

The dryer drum is usually cooler when it's cold outside, so I see what you mean that the air will make it's way in somehow. There does seem to be cooler air around the floor, too.

So maybe nothing else can be done, just thought I would ask. Thanks for your time.

Old 01-25-06, 08:06 AM
Smokyie,
The plumber should not have hook up your dryer vent in a 90 degree fashion to the outside. He should have routed the pipe up towards the ceiling first, then down towards the outside discharge. This arrangement does not allow cold air to enter as cold air wants to drop, not rise. Call him back and tell him to do it right.
You also have one other option besides the one I gave you about a differant vent discharge and that is to extend the outside discharge down towards the ground about 2 or 3 feet using non ferrous materials such as aluminum or pvc piping. If you are not handy, then the plumber is your only option.

Last edited by rjordan392; 01-25-06 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 01-26-06, 05:42 AM
Smokyie
Visiting Guest
Thanks again, not much chance I'll get this plumber back now.

To try to extend the outside discharge would present a problem in that the vent trap door is only about a foot or 18" off the ground.

I have learned a lot by your posts and I do appreciate your time.

Search this Thread