Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How to insulate existing wall over block/stucco?

AL

01-25-06, 09:45 AM   #1  
How to insulate existing wall over block/stucco?

I apologize if I didn't look back in time far enough on this forum, but can someone please point to advice on insulating an existing wall over block construction? I think the cavity is only about 1.5" deep and is empty. Should I be able to just rent a cellulose blower from my home center and follow any existing process, or do I need special equipment/process because of the shallowness? Is there a better way or anything else I can do? Will this even help with such a shallow cavity?

I tried a bunch of times starting in September to hire someone with no luck, so I know I won't see any noticeable difference this winter. However we are painting the walls for an upcoming family event and I really want to take care of any holes ahead of that. I need to do it in the next weekend or two and I won't have help.

Sponsored Links

01-25-06, 11:42 AM   #2  
Solutions will be climate dependent, but for thin installations, options in order of increasing quality are blown in fiberglass (BIBS), blown in cellulose, and injectable high-perm foam plastic insulation.

As price goes up, likelihood of moisture problems goes down.

AL

01-25-06, 12:28 PM   #3  
I'm in Massachusetts so appreciate any improvements keeping the cold out ...

I haven't had any luck finding someone willing to inject foam, over several months of trying. Two companies never returned repeated calls. One company kept trying to sell me other things, then saying they would get back to me. Eventually they admitted they no longer do foam. The third company kept insisting on sending me pamphlets rather than setting up an actual appointment. After waiting for snail mail for two sets of pamphlets that I already read on their www site, I finally gave up on them too. Any idea how to find someone willing to accept my money?

Is foam injection something that a reasonably handy DIY'er can do? Where can I find the supplies and equipment? HD doesn't have it.

As you said, my second choice is blown-in cellulose. I can get supplies from any home center and do that myself, and I should be able to do it on my schedule. However, I've only done one attic this way and expect there to be different process/attachment to adequately fill a wall, especially a thin one. Any pointers?

Search this Thread