Possible mold within above ground wall...

Old 01-26-06, 02:02 PM
N
NFE
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Possible mold within above ground wall...

Hey guys, I am having a mold test done here in the next week, however, I was wondering what you could come up with in this situation.

I have a newer house.. (1999), and it's a 4-lvl split w/aprox 3500 sq/f total. I started to add a couple of rooms in the 1/2 under level about 2 years ago, and got as far as hanging sheetrock before I ran out of cash, etc.. (never ending house remodel!) Anyway, last week I decided to re-fi, and start over with a better layout; etc. So, I took the sheetrock off of the walls and found on one side what looks like mold.. At least it looks like the stuff you see in the work refridge that has been there for like a year!...

This is on a upper; above ground wall. The house has fiberglass insulation, whole house air exchanger, intact vaperbarrier that is also taped at the seems. The outside is Vinal siding with buildrite under it. I'm not aware of any house wrap or vaper retarder on the outside of the house.

I would have thought that this situation would breath fine... Any clues how this could have happened, and how to make it go away?!?!

-NFE

Old 01-26-06, 06:44 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Id skip the air test! If you see it don't waste your money on testing!

Old 01-26-06, 08:49 PM
I agree with airman -- if you can see that you have a problem you do not need a test.

Below is an address for a Canadian government publication about all aspects of your house. Chapter 1 deals with moisture and the house as a system.

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/keep_heat_in/...hapter_1_4.cfm

Hope it helps.

Old 01-27-06, 04:10 AM
E
Also, go to the this link and type in "mold" under the search and you will get lots of information on how to remedy the problem.

http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/index.cfm

Old 01-27-06, 06:27 AM
What the...?
So all of a sudden this forum has been taken over by Canadians?

Once you've put yourself to sleep reading, maybe it's time to ask where the moisture is coming from?

Is it coming from indoors or outdoors?

Indoors:
What's your interior humidity level?
How well is the VDR taped & sealed actually?
What's the perm rating on the exterior sheathing (Buildrite)

Outdoors:
Any evidence of liquid water (staining) that would inidicate a roof or rain leak?
Is the building air conditioned?
How tight is the envelope? Is this side of the house well protected from wind?

What many people don't tell you is that if you are putting poly in an air conditioned house, you need wind to come through the wall to take out condensation on the back of the poly during the summer. If you built tight & have walls that are protected from the wind, you need to look at something other than poly + batt.

Old 01-30-06, 05:10 AM
E
Originally Posted by doug thomas
What the...?
So all of a sudden this forum has been taken over by Canadians?

You sound like Jack.

Old 01-30-06, 08:18 AM
N
NFE
Thanks guys! I'll check those links and see what help it is to me.

As for the question of staining and such.

The weird thing is that I've been up there looking around, and still have yet to find any water staining or anything around the mold site. I'm trying to figure out (easily) what is on the outside of the house. I know this isn't the siding forum; however I would expect some type of vaper retarder under the vinal siding. But I'm at a loss for what is actually out there. I guess I may have to poke my head up into a soffit and see.

I agree with the wind going through and making sure that the moisture is evaporated when dealing with an air conditioned house, and I'm guessing this has something to do with it.

I'll let you all know what I find out as the news comes in!

Again Thanks TONS!

-nfe

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: