Garage wall insulation

Old 01-30-06, 05:32 AM
Question Garage wall insulation

Hello all. I am remodeling my 38 year old garage. Living in Indiana. When I removed the paneling from interior, all that was there was a plastic vapor barrier, studs, and the exterior brick. I would like to insulate these walls, so my question is 1. Using insulation with vapor barrier paper, should paper go in toward garage, or since insulation will be contacting brick, should it rest toward brick? 2. Should I use additional 4mil vapor barrier on interior with this type insulation?
I am concerned about "trapping" moisture in the walls, so not sure what to do. I also plan on installing wood paneling back on walls.
Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-06, 06:56 AM
If you are concerned about trapping moisture in the walls, there are two solutions:

1) get the vapor barrier out of there. There are numerous insulation solutions that do not require a vapor barrier.

2) Build really really crappy, so that lots of wind can come through and dry out all the moisture.

Most builders address this issue by choosing OPTION 2.

Old 01-30-06, 06:58 AM
Okay. option No. 2 is already in place. So, what are some of the numerous options to use without vapor barrier?

Old 01-30-06, 07:04 AM
Wait a minute????? Do you have no exterior sheathing? You didn't mention having any. If you have no exterior sheathing, and you have weeps in your brick (vents at top and bottom), you can put batt+poly up, and you'll always have enough venting to resolve any moisture issues.

If you have exterior sheathing:
South indiana - wetspray or blown in cellulose or breathable spray foam.

North indiana - wetspray or blown in cellulose + well taped & sealed drywall + vapor retarder paint, OR breathable spray foam.

Old 01-30-06, 07:33 AM
There is no exterior sheathing. Just brick, studs, plastic vapor barrier, then panelin. Should I put batts up with paper vapor barrier toward inside garage, and also use plastic?