Insulating The Air Space

Old 02-20-06, 04:59 AM
Insulating The Air Space

Hello,
I have a 3/4 inch air space between the masonary wall and sheetrock. I want to insulate these walls using either Dows stryofoam or super tuff rigid insulation. The super tuff has foil on both sides. I already placed plastic around all my windows and I can feel the differance of less draft. But the remaining draft must be coming from the exterior walls. I am also considering using Tyvek and perhaps an insulating paint on the sheetrock.
If you had the same air space distance, what procedure would you use to insulate these walls.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-06, 11:39 AM
I brought in a company (OceanAir Systems) that specializes in air quality control and mold remediation. This guy is top shelf in this area which is why I brought him in. He has develloped a unique systematic approach including a newly patented treatment process that is too new to mention at this time but has the attention of Health Canada. In a nutshell it is a highly effective and safe fogging process that disinfects all surfaces.

I had him look at a commercial complex which are strata owned so there are several units consisting of restaurants to a legal firm to an animal hospital. It is two stories and is constructed of concrete block. They have been having problems for years such as moisture in the drywall and Tbar celing panels, leading to mushrooms and mold. On both the exterior and the interior surfaces of the concrete you see effloescence. They had the roof re-done, the exterior walls coated last summer with an elastomeric coating believing that their problems would be solved which they did not.

After a thorough inspection these are the three main problem areas that contributed to water related problems.
1. Air leakage (no vapor or air barriers)
2. No insulation (in the walls)
3. Poor ventilation (fresh air make-up)

His solution entails a combination of insulating techniques including rigid foam and a multi-ceramic insulation coating.
The coating goes onto the concrete surfaces and acts as an insulator and vapour barrier (thus it is not just a reflective coating). He also uses the Hilti expandable foam to fill in all air leaks including all joints of the rigid foam.